As our Thermomixing friends in Australia head into the cooler days of autumn, I’m reminded of the warming treat that became my go-to breakfast during the past winter here in Canada.
We don’t often prescribe a specific “ingredient of choice” for recipes on this blog, but this savory oatmeal demmands it. It’s the texture of this Mediterranean-influenced oat risotto is what sets it apart, to make it the stand-out recipe that you’ll never tire of. And that texture is a direct result of the quality of oats used: Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats from Bob’s Red Mill is my oat of choice for this savory oatmeal. No sponsorship here — I’m just seriously in love with the soft “chew” this ingredient imparts while bringing fragrant flavors together in a morning melting pot of yum. Sunflower seeds are as essential as the quick-cooking steel-cut oats; please don’t omit, or you won’t enjoy the full wonder of this recipe.
If you’ve been following this blog for a while you’ll know that my food style leans more to savory than sweet. So this recipe is heaven for me — at any time of day, but especially in the morning. Take advantage of the nine-minutes of carefree Thermomix “cooking time” for brushing teeth and making the bed :) And if you manage to have leftovers, consider packing some for lunch, or adding to fish, chicken, or sauteed mushrooms as a side dish for dinner. Whether you view this as “savory oatmeal” or “oat risotto”, I think you’ll love it as much as I do!
- 1 clove garlic, (large or small as you prefer)
- 60 g (2 oz) torn kale, or spinach leaves
- 500 g (16.4 oz) broth (chicken, veg,) or water
- 2 sprigs herbs of choice (rosemary, oregano, basil)
- 130 g (4.5 oz) steel cut oats, quick cooking
- 30 g. (1 oz) pitted black olives (Kalamata), roughly chopped
- 30 g (1 oz) sun-dried tomato pieces in oil, chopped
- ½ lemon, juice and zest
- 30 g (1 oz) raw sunflower seeds (substitute toasted if necessary) plus more for sprinkling on top
- 30-50 g (1-2 oz) feta cheese, crumbled or in pieces
- Put garlic into mixing bowl and chop 6 sec/speed 6. Scrape down sides of bowl with your fave spatula. Add kale and chop3 sec/speed 4.
- Add the broth, herbs, oats and cook 9 min/100C (200F)/REVERSE/spoon speed.
- Add chopped olives, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, lemon juice and zest, sunflower seeds and stir 4 sec/REVERSE/speed 4. Sprinkle with additional sunflower seeds to serve.