Cranberry Ginger Thermomix Scones
If you don’t already know it, I’m not crazy about sweets — I don’t crave sugar and prefer savoury recipes. Yet I do have a serious weakness for anything related to ginger including those plump sugar-dusted chunks of intensely-flavoured organic crystalized ginger. In western Canada where I live, these exotic golden nuggets are imported from Australia, aka, Land-o-Thermomix.
Oh yes, I also love all things red: pomegranate, beetroot, tomatoes, peppers, pots, and of course cranberries –especially when fresh and tart. So you may have heard my gasp from across the ocean when spotting this pretty non-Thermomix scone recipe at ChezUs.com. I’ve altered the ingredients a bit and adapted for Thermomix but the outcome stays close to the original. Certain to impress everyone you know… especially if you let them see how quickly these Thermomix scones come together. (Start these as you rise and they’ll be done before other family members have finished brushing their teeth!)
This Thermomix scone recipe is a great go-to recipe to modify when you don’t have any other breakfasty food in the house. Think about substituting other fruit and/or nuts for the cranberries and ginger, add spices if you wish, or keep it simple. If you find this recipe not sweet enough, just add 1-3 tablespoons sugar with the flour. I like to start by adding oats to the Thermomix, grinding these for a healthier oat/wheat flour blend. It makes for a denser but more substantial scone that fuels the body longer into the day. By replacing butter with coconut oil the flavour deepens and becomes much moreish – it’s how I usually do it. Serve with yogurt, cream cheese, ricotta, jam, or Tenina’s citrus curd as I’ve done here.
- 300 g. regular flour (or see notes below)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 110 g. unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 100 g. fresh cranberries
- 80 g. crystallized ginger chunks
- 120 g. cream, (can use light or heavy cream or milk, or coconut milk)
- optional: additional cream, milk, or egg blended with water for brushing on top with sprinkling of sugar if desired
- Preheat oven 425F/215C.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt to Thermomix bowl. Sift for 3 seconds/speed 6.
- Add butter (or coconut oil) and lemon zest. Mix 5 seconds/speed 5.
- Add ginger chunks and chop 3 seconds/speed 5. Add cranberries and chop for 2-3 seconds/speed 5.
- Add cream and knead 30 seconds/interval (dough) speed.
- Tip dough onto silicone mat or floured surface and press together to form a circle about 3 cm. thick. I choose to not overwork the dough in this step in order to achieve a more hand-made (rustic) quality to the finished scones. Divide into 8-10 wedges and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with cream, milk or egg wash and sprinkle with sugar if desired. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before enjoying.