Thermomix Vorwerk-Semco factory is expanding! Why?
Vorwerk-Semco is expanding the world’s only Thermomix manufacturing plant to meet increasing global demand for the super kitchen machine.
(If you follow this blog, you already know that Thermomix is made in France, at the Cloyes-sur-Loir factory of Vorwerk-Semco)
French industry trade news L’usine Nouvelle (February 15, 2013) reports that the German manufacturer of Thermomix kitchen appliances is investing 16 million Euros to expand the world’s only production facility for this popular kitchen machine.
Reasons for expansion (as reported)
This article informs us that Vorwerk sold 750,000 Thermomix in 2012 and popularity of the kitchen machine continues to grow each year around the world. (See 2011 sales report here.)
The 16 million euros will allow for an expansion of 1200 square meters and acquisition of additional machines, including injection molding. Not only is the factory floor at Vorwerk-Semco being extended, but also production lines and the labour force which will grow to about 200 employees. The factory expansion is set to begin next month and progress through the summer.
Reasons for expansion (? could there be more)
Long time fans of Thermomix are always curious about when the next model will be released. Speculations abound and release dates of previous models are scrutinized so that predictions might be made. It’s a valid question! When we invest in a valuable machine of any kind, we want assurance that it will not be superseded by next year’s model any time soon.
TM21 was introduced in 1996
TM31 was introduced in 2007
Common questions are:
- What changes will Vorwerk introduce with the next version of TM?
- When will it be introduced?
- Will I still love my TM31 once I see the next model? Will a newer version render my current TMX obsolete?
- How much will the next version cost? Does it matter?
Nobody knows yet! Not even the people who work for Vorwerk know this yet. I’ve been told that when the TM31 was launched it was kept a secret until a few days before the machine actually shipped out. Consultants did not know ahead of time!
- Can the next Thermomix remain a secret in today’s world? With 200 employees at the factory, in the age of social media?
- If word leaks out about a new Thermomix in development, will new customers stop buying TM31, preferring to wait?
- Is the new equipment at Vorwerk-Semco being introduced to accommodate new design features and functions for the next model of Thermomix?
- Is the factory at Vorwerk-Semco preparing for the next model of Thermomix?
- Does the possibility of a new model of Thermomix make you excited (about the possibilities) or nervous (about your investment in TM31)?
- See more about the Vorwerk-Semco factory in “Who Made Your Thermomix”: part 1 and part 2
- Watch a Thermomix promotional video about the Varoma steamer (also made at Semco-Vorwerk).
- See Vorwerk/Thermomix Annual Reports for 2011 and 2010