Each year in April I begin to anticipate the publication of the annual report from the Vorwerk Group, manufacturer of Thermomix. The report is released to the press later in May, but my reading of the 2011 report had to wait because this year I was über-busy packing orders in the Kitchen Kit shop. Finally last night I treated myself to a bit of time out, curled up cozy to read and savour the facts. (Yes. For savoury-lovers like me, this is even better than dessert!)
Reviewing the facts for Thermomix fans
The Vorwerk Group’s annual report contains detailed financial statements for all divisions of this highly diversified group of companies. For Thermomix fans who just want to read about TM31, relevant info has been distilled and is offered for quick reference below. Tip! Bookmark this page and keep it handy on your phone. Just peek at this cheat sheet to rattle off impressive numbers at your next TMX party. Or not.
Thinking of buying a Thermomix? Keep reading…
The facts and figures in the annual report are fun for fans to see, but can be even more pertinent to those planning to buy a Thermomix. Before owning one in 2009, I read as many reviews as I could find as well as the annual report for that year. It was
reassuring convincing to know that the company producing this machine had such a solid track record and absolute stronghold in the global marketplace. Because the Vorwerk Thermomix brand is yet unrecognized in some countries, this info can help would-be buyers to make the best decision.
7 million people around the world
now use Thermomix to prepare daily meals!
(Vorwerk Group annual report 2011, p. 19)
more from the 2011 Annual Report — Vorwerk Group
- In 2011 Vorwerk’s sales (including Thermomix division) totaled €2.4 billion (almost AU$3 billion) – up 4.2% over the previous year. (p.11)
- In 2011 the Thermomix division of the Vorwerk group was responsible for 25% of its sales, equal to €591 million (about AU$735 million). (p.11)
- In its 128th year of business the German based company generated 67% of its revenues in 75 countries outside Germany (ten more countries than in 2010). (p.11, 61)
- “A view to the individual divisions shows that Thermomix resolutely continued along the tremendous growth path of recent years and thereby maintained its position as the most successful and dynamic division. Sales of the versatile kitchen appliance increased by 16 percent and surpassed the 635,000 units mark for the first time. The cornerstones of this success were the four largest Thermomix countries, Italy, France, Germany and Spain, where far in excess of 110,000 Thermomix appliances could be sold in each country.” (p.11)
- The executive board and owner family credit the 24,428 self-employed consultants around the world and plan in 2012 to focus on support and recruitment of new members to grow existing markets and further internationalization. A financial division (akf group which includes bank and leasing operation) will also find new growth by offering consumer financing of Thermomix and other products. (page 12, 14, 19)
- “In Italy, the largest Thermomix country, revenue rose to €146 million, an increase of 2.6 percent. Revenue in France increased by almost 33% to just under €130 million. (This followed an increase of 52% in 2010). Germany managed to advance beyond the mark of 120,000 appliances sold and reported a revenue level of €121 million (increase of 29%). Spain was also able to sell more Thermomix appliances than in previous year, with a sales volume of €112 million despite the continuing tense general economic situation there.” (p 18)
- present and future focus
“A great deal of effort has been put into extending the services offered around the Thermomix: professional structures for developing recipes were created for all countries to enable Thermomix to give a “success guarantee” for its own recipes. Moreover, every customer should have the opportunity, if possible, of being able to refine her or his handling of the appliance in cooking courses so as to fully utilize the potential of the Thermomix to enable use on a daily basis. In the coming years, the division will focus on a number of projects in the medium-sized and smaller Thermomix countries with the objective of achieving further growth in the existing markets. Great attention will also be attached to developing new sales areas. In this respect, the focus is particularly on Asia.” (page 19)
- Download the 2011 Annual Report from the Vorwerk website here.
- Click to see the review of Vorwerk’s Annual report, 2010.