Update: People have been asking about how to cook poached eggs in the Thermomix and though I wrote about this in November 2009 the page was incomplete. Now seems like a good time to add a few photos, suggestions and links to more bloggers who use Thermomix for preparing easy, soft, always-perfect eggs.
What follows is not really a “recipe” but just a few ideas about how Thermomix can help us enjoy poached eggs. Once you figure out the best timing to suit your household’s preference, you will have predictably perfect poached eggs every time!
Before Thermomix arrived, I cooked eggs using silicone egg-poachers in a pot of boiling water. But now I place the silicone poachers in the Thermomix basket with water below. When serving more people, we use more cups placed in the larger-capacity Varoma steamer. (If you don’t have silicone egg poachers, ramekins will also work, but time may need adjusting.)
Thermomix Poached Eggs (suggestions)
- prepare silicone cups by lightly greasing with butter/oil
- add 500 g water to Thermomix bowl (This is less water than usual for steam cooking, but we’re only heating it for a short time. Using only half a litre of water is just enough to allow for quick poaching without risk of evaporation.)
- Soft or firm? The first time you poach eggs in the Thermomix you will decided the best timing for your own preference of ‘doneness’ — the times below are a guide.
- simmering basket: cook about 11-13 minutes/Varoma/speed 2-3
- in Varoma: cook about 12-14 minutes/Varoma/speed 2-3
- consider adding spinach, onion, cheese, nutmeg, bacon bits or whatever you fancy!
- Thermomix also helps to make easy Hollandaise sauce.
Click for Hollandaise Sauce recipe >
- see how Thermomixer makes his poached eggs
- The Opies: Family Food has another way of preparing poached eggs in the Thermomix Varoma
- Australian Thermomix consultant Steph Berg does Varoma poached eggs
- Australian blogger Trissalicious has an interesting article about poached eggs in Thermomix. See Slow Poached Eggs and Hollandaise on the Thermomix – is it cheating?
- feel free to add more Thermomix egg poaching tips by comment below…