Thermomix spotting at World Barista Championships
Is Thermomix the coffee barista’s new best friend? Maybe so. Seems the super kitchen machine is giving competitive baristas a winning advantage. Hearing this news made for an irresistible Thermomix spotting challenge, so this morning I put on the Google goggles and headed online to bag some Bimbys. The day’s hunt proved most rewarding!
All the best baristi Down Under are using Thermomix, including Melbourne’s Simon James, but it’s Danish Barista Champion Søren Stiller Markussen who gives Thermomix fans the most to see online. Søren has a cool collection of coffee brewing/serving accolades to his name: World Barista Championship (WBC) finalist in 2010, WBC Championship finalist in 2008, Danish Barista Champion 2008 and 2010, and Silver Winner at World Latte Art Championship 2007. Here below is the longer of two competition videos. (At about 31 minutes, it may be too long for some Thermomix fans to watch easily online, so see shortcut notes below the video)
shortcut notes for best Thermomix spotting: see at approx. 10 min. and 22:30 min.
What makes this video worth watching?
- Markussen is completely scientific, completely artistic, completely poised and confident. He’s practiced this routine many times and spent years honing competition skills.
- Provides a fascinating glimpse into the world of championship level baristi performance. Markussen has trained two years for this one championship. He is meticulous in his approach, and there is much to be enjoyed here by coffee aficionados.
- His signature drink, a Tres “presso”, features the Thermomix and consists of espresso aged in Danish wood and then combined with specialty syrup made in the super kitchen machine. The syrup cooks as Søren prepares his first drinks to the judges and is ready at about the 10-minute mark of the 15 minute of allowed competition time. Watch carefully to notice the syrup’s ingredients which include cascara (dried hull of the coffee berry), sugar, water, lemon juice and sweet woodruff to provide a “Marzipan taste”.
- After presentation is complete, Markussen explains to media/hosts about the precise heating properties of the Thermomix, which enable execution and delivery of his signature championship coffee drink.
A shorter version of the same routine is shown here below. Filmed at the 2010 Danish Barista Championship, this version does not provide the same degree of Thermomix spotting and information, but it is shorter in length and easier to download.
- see what Melbourne barista Simon James says about Thermomix usage at the top level of competition >
- see two-time Western Australian Barista Champion Mark Chandler’s Thermomix Coffee recipes on the Five Senses Coffee website >
- see more about using Thermomix in barista competitions from Canada’s Transcend coffee >