Inspiration: Isabel (Isi) from Portugal is known as “The Bread Lady” on Forum Thermomix. With this popular recipe for Portuguese Rolls she single-handedly converted many ‘bread-shy’ forum members into superior bakers. I too am most grateful to Isi for her dedication to sharing Thermomix bread recipes and for her cheerful perseverance with the English language.
In my version of Isi’s Thermomix bread recipe not much is changed. I love the simplicity of this recipe’s execution — just dump it all in and go! Also, the resulting texture offers a dusty crust that maintains its softer chewy texture and is easy to slice thinly — which is good for weight loss. (Slice it paper-thin and enjoy two slices for the carbs of one!) Best of all: by adding rye flour to the mix, I’m brought back to the times I spent at my grandmother’s table in Germany, listening to her tell stories of the past as we spread our bread with liverwurst and love.
- 500 g. (17.6 oz) flour (I blend white/whole wheat. Remember you can grind your own!)
- 1 Tbsp granulated yeast
- 300 ml (10.5 oz) lukewarm water
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sweetener (honey, molasses, or Agave syrup)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil mixed with 1 Tbsp water (for brushing top)
- Put lukewarm water into Thermomix, followed by yeast, sweetener, flour and salt. Knead 5 minutes on Interval/Kneading speed.
- With measuring cup in place (on lid), allow dough to rise in Thermomix for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, knead 1 minute on Interval/Kneading speed.
- Turn dough onto floured surface or Silicone mat and use a firm hand to shape into loaves. (see notes below for alternatives)
- Place onto parchment-lined baking sheet and let rise for about 20 minutes. (It will double in size, so be mindful of spacing if making more than one loaf.)
- Make thin cuts on top, and brush with mixture of olive oil and water.
- Set oven to begin pre-heating at 210°C/410°F. Place an ovenproof container in the oven with water. (I think this is the trick to give the bread its special soft crust quality.)
- When desired temperature is reached, dust loaves with flour, place into oven, and reduce temperature to 200°C/400°F. Bake for 25-30 minutes (less time neede if using a convection oven).
- Allow to cool before slicing (if you can resist) and enjoy with Thermomix butter!